Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Resources
A collection of diversity, equity and inclusion resources that support COMTO’s vision of full access and maximum participation in the transportation industry for the underrepresented.
American Jobs Plan: An investment in America that will create millions of good jobs, rebuild our country’s infrastructure and position the United States to out-compete China.
Bipartisan Infrastructure Law: A once-in-a-generation investment in America’s transportation network. It will modernize infrastructure, increase equity in transportation, help fight climate change, strengthen the supply chain and create jobs.
RAISE Discretionary Grants: The Rebuilding American Infrastructure with Sustainability and Equity (RAISE Discretionary Grant program) provides a unique opportunity for the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) to invest in road, rail, transit and port projects that promise to achieve national objectives. Previously known as the Better Utilizing Investments to Leverage Development (BUILD) and Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) Discretionary Grants, Congress has dedicated nearly $9.9 billion for thirteen rounds of National Infrastructure Investments to fund projects that have a significant local or regional impact.
DC DOT Advancing Transportation Equity: Jeff Bennett — head of the Transit Delivery Division of the District of Columbia Department of Transportation and president of the DC Chapter of the Conference of Minority Transportation Officials — is interviewed by host Bernie Wage blast about how Washington, DC is advancing transportation equity.
Pushkin Industries: Co-founded by Malcolm Gladwell and Jacob Weisberg, Pushkin Industries is spreading the joy of podcasting, one episode at a time, by putting artists and creators first.
The Ringer: The Bakari Sellers Podcast tackles the most pressing current events through conversations and interviews with high-profile guests.
- Black History Month 2022, The Washington Post
- The Fight Over the 1619 Project Is Not About the Facts, The Atlantic
- Building Socioeconomic Equity Through Transportation Research, National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine
- Making Travel More Equitable for People with Disabilities, National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine
- Steps for Transportation Workforce Diversity Outlined in TRB’s Research, National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine
- Equitably Connecting Rural and Urban Populations, National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine
Consultants and Training
J. T. (Ted) Childs, Jr.
Ted Childs LLC
E/A J Tiffany Childs
Dr. Shelton Goode
Robert H. Prince, Jr.
Foot Prince, LLC
Deborah T. Owens
Founder & CEO, Corporate Alley Cat
Sandy Harris, COO
- TRB Blog: Finding, Keeping, and Advancing Women in the Transportation Workforce
- TRB Blog: TRB Offers a Running Start to Transportation’s Next Generation
- Resources on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Women in the Workplace
- NCHRP Synthesis 543: Transportation Workforce Planning and Development Strategies
- NCHRP Research Report 980: Attracting, Retaining, and Developing the Transportation Workforce: Transportation Planners
- TCRP Report 148: Practical Resources for Recruiting Minorities for Chief Executive Officers at Public Transportation Agencies
- TCRP Research Report 228: Resource Guide for Improving Diversity and Inclusion Programs for the Public Transportation Industry
- TCRP Synthesis 147: Attracting, Retaining, and Advancing Women in Transit
- Racial and Gender Diversity in State DOTs and Transit Agencies
- Seeking Solutions: Maximizing American Talent by Advancing Women of Color in Academia
- Expanding Underrepresented Minority Participation